Once in awhile a game comes along that sets the bar for a certain genre. Onward – a multiplayer shooter much like Call of Duty or Counter-Strike – is without a doubt one of these, having quickly gained praise and a stalwart following shortly after it’s Early Access release last year. Sure there will be other great FPS titles for VR in the future, but Onward will always be remembered as the first truly popular VR first person shooter.
Supporting both the Rift and Vive, Onward uses a trackpad locomotion that many have dubbed ‘Onward-style’ movement since it was one of the first games to say “to hell with the motion sickness” and just offer a realistic feeling of getting around a virtual environment. Still, the VR community is getting bigger by the day and there are a lot of people who haven’t tried the game yet but might be surprised at how much fun it is.
So if you haven’t tried Onward on your personal headset at home or in a VR arcade yet, then lucky for you, because the game is having an open weekend starting tomorrow. The open weekend on Steam officially starts on September 14th and ends this Sunday on the 17th.
Never Played Onward? No Problem!
It can be very intimidating to get into a multiplayer shooter when you’re a bit late to the party. It’s even more intimidating when you’re playing on a completely new platform. So if you’re feeling a little apprehensive then an open weekend might be the perfect opportunity to see if you like the game – since there will be a lot of new players. Plus, we’ve got you covered with a few quick Onward Noob tips to get you on your way.
- It’s always a good idea to get some practice in beforehand. Try visiting the shooting range or try your hand against the AI so you can get used to the mechanics of the game. The Onward community is friendly for the most part and will help you if you forget anything but you should try to know the basics of getting around and shooting/reloading at least.
- There are two teams in Onward, the Marsoc and the Volk. The first always wear camo and are the attacking team. The latter team wears black and is always the defending team.
- If you forget what team you’re playing on then just look at your gloves.
- The teams switch sides every round.
- If you want to see where all your teammates are (when you’ve gotten separated) then you can just pull out your trusty tablet and check for the dots. These change color from green to red depending on how damaged the person is.
- Be aware that the game uses an open-mic. So if you say anything, people near you will hear it.
- Remember the game is still in Early Access so there will be bugs.
- There’s a time limit on each game. If the Marsoc team doesn’t kill all the Volk in that time then the Volk automatically win.
- Much like in a game of Overwatch, every match has an objective and these can differ. Like escorting a VIP or hacking a satellite dish.
- It’s impolite to point your gun at a teammate.
- Be aware of your surroundings and how you fit into them. A good strategy is important in this game.
- The way you reload weapons in Onward differs sometimes. So learn how to reload each weapon.
Well, that’s it for our Onward Noob tips. Now get in there and experience the heart-stopping action that have already earned Onward so many fans.