When Croteam decides to release an update, they certainly make sure it will be talked about. And this time’s no different. The team behind the classic Serious Sam franchise released two Serious Sam VR titles in early access last year. Now they announced their first big update for 2017 along with some major news and it’s a doozy.
The big news? Well, you’d think they would be trying to finish up the two VR titles they already have available in early access. But no, the guys over at Croteam apparently hate sleep because they announced three new VR titles; Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE, Serious Sam VR Second Encounter, and The TALOS Principle VR. Yup kids, we’re all going to be suffering from sleep deprivation along with the development team. Although, there’s no news on when they’ll be releasing these yet.
Serious Gifts All Around
Of course, don’t think they’ve forgotten about the two games they already have in early access, though. These, along with all their 2D games are receiving a major update, called Serious Sam Fusion 2017. This update adds a lot of fixes and new features to the game. Croteam really listened to people’s input concerning their early access titles and, according to themselves, went a little overboard trying to implement everything everyone suggested. “It’s been an incredibly exciting time for us as we launched our first VR title and our first game in Early Access. We were amazed by the amount of positive comments, great ideas and new features that our fans suggested. Our team was also amazed by our own stupidity and naivety. We tried to implement, well, almost all of those ideas,” Croteam said in a press release.
One major change that the update is bringing is that it will allow VR and non-VR player alike to play ‘co-op’ and ‘versus’ games together. That means that you can play with anyone who has the same Serious Sam game as you. Regardless of the platform. Another huge add-on is that they’re adding support for Linux on all Serious Sam games. The Serious Fusion 2017 update will be rolled out gradually, starting with The First Encounter, and then The Second Encounter and Serious Sam 3: BFE.
Another announcement from Croteam: The “Shanti” update for Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope which is now finished. This update will be released after internal testing and includes the new planet (Shanti), new weapons (one melee and one long ranged weapon), a new feature (Sam’s personal shield) and a new boss.
Here’s a Full List of All the Updates Serious Fusion 2017 Will Bring
- All games now support SteamOS/Linux/OSX
- 64-bit executables
- Support for Vulkan API (DirectX 9 will be removed)
- Multithreaded rendering
- A new “lightweight” savegame system; savegames are now saved much faster, are very small and stored in the Steam cloud, and ‘savegames’ still work even if a level is changed in a patch, or if a mod is updated
- Full support for all controllers including Steam controller, PS4 gamepads, all older DInput joysticks
- Proper multimonitor support
- Borderless window support
- Customizable sound outputs
- Proper 3D audio using a proprietary sound-mixer (the same approach as used in the old Classics games)
- Improved physics engine with better handling of character movement
- Texture streaming in all games
- Much better modding support with customizable weapons and items, improved scripting (including better support for scripting networked games)
- Lots of other improvements, optimizations, and fixes
Croteam also confirmed that Serious Sam 4 is still happening and that their core team is working hard on finishing the game.